gym

Fire and smoke damage inside the cheer gym facility.

The Kaufman Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire inside a cheerleading gym on Sept. 25.

First responders arrived at the facility, which has a residence attached, and saw heavy smoke coming from the center of the building.

The fire in the gym was extinguished easily, according to a report from the fire department. The gym had extensive heat and smoke damage, and industrial fans were used to clear the smoke.

The owners of the building were not present when the fire started.

One injury was reported by a volunteer firefighter who experienced chest pain while he was pulling a hose. He got out of the building and other personnel administered first aid until emergency technicians arrived. 

He was transported to a hospital in Dallas in stable condition, according to KFD. 

Firefighters from Scurry and Kemp departments also responded to the blaze.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.