Update: I received my results May 21, six days after my COVID test, and I am glad to say, the results were negative!

We received a short notice from the county last week, announcing there would testing on Thursday and Friday for the COVID-19 virus courtesy of the Texas Department of State Health Services.

Our intrepid reporter, Sam Harmon, went over to the Kaufman Fire Station on Thursday and shot some photos and reported a steady line of people being tested in their cars, but it wasn’t swamped.

Did I want the test?

On one hand, I have no symptoms. On the other hand, as essential workers, we’re trying to keep our office open, but our employees safe at the same time. I don’t want to be coming to work if I have the virus.

I went online to, gave them my name and cell number, and answered some questions about COVID symptoms, which I answered in the negative. Testing was free, but they did ask for my health insurance information.

So I was somewhat surprised when I got a call Thursday afternoon saying they had appointments available Friday, did I want to come in?

What the heck, I said yes. The nice gentleman on the line asked me to do the following: come in an enclosed vehicle, no pets in the car, as few people as possible, bring a handkerchief or mask in case I sneeze, bring my ID, and I would get results via text in four days.

Got it.

I pulled in Friday and made the mistake of rolling my window down when a man in camouflage fatigues approached my car. I’m assuming he was in the National Guard, but since we weren’t supposed to chit-chat, I’m not sure. They checked my identification multiple times through my car window, then I pulled forward into the bay at the fire station. Another man in multiple layers of haz-mat materials told me to roll my window down. He said he would put a swab up one nostril, asked me not to move, then he would test the other nostril. As one friend of mine reported, it felt like he was scraping my brain.

I had read that the test hurts, and it does, but it is a short jab of pain. I had to blow my nose badly after it was finished, and my nose periodically felt weird for about an hour afterwards.

So that was it. I hope I’m COVID free. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for reading.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.